You start a business because you have a big idea you think will make money and hopefully change the world in some way, but success can be elusive.
It’s hard to win business and things just don’t happen fast enough. It’s tough to build momentum and that’s when self-doubt creeps in and your commitment is really tested.
I know it’s hard to take and that’s when you redouble your efforts and work even harder. But things don’t seem to improve … aaargghhh!
The problem is that many businesses focus their efforts on selling harder and although that does sometimes work, it often doesn’t.
Why is that?
The fact is that out takes more than selling harder to succeed.
Sometimes the problem lies elsewhere and you just need to know where to look.
Unless you identify the true causes of under-achievement, your business will fail, it’s just a matter of how fast.
Unless your product is different from what’s already available, you will be regarded as a commodity with no distinctive features. You will almost certainly compete on price and your business will probably have a slow lingering death.
Unless you have the right strategies to identify and build an audience who will buy, your business will die pretty fast.
Unless you focus on being the best you can, your competitors will gradually kill you.
And unless everyone in your business has a shared passion for providing the best service they can, your business will start to stink before it dies.
So you can see that these things are inter-related. A problem in one area has an impact elsewhere.
When this happens your business is out of balance and this makes it really difficult to reach your true potential. No matter how hard you work.
You need to take a step back and think differently about what it takes to succeed.
Although selling is core to the success of any business, it’s only part of the equation. To truly maximise your business potential, you must master the universal Principles of Success.
These are the things you must do to succeed consistently. If there’s a problem in one area, it will throw the others out of synch and you’ll under-achieve. These are the principle of success you must master
- Uniquely satisfy a need or create one;
- Build the right audience to sell to;
- Communicate effectively to win business;
- Provide great service to build a fan base;
- Continually improve to stay ahead of the competition and drive growth.
- When you get this right you have a clarity and simplicity of focus.
- You develop great products and position them in very clear, concise and compelling ways.
- You have a vibrant network of sales opportunity and a laser-sharp focus on winning business and providing exceptional customer service.
- This leads to long-term relationships, repeat business and referrals.
- And because there is a shared passion in your business to continually improve, achieving success is just that little bit easier.
- That’s easy to say, but hard to do, especially for a smaller business with limited resources.
That’s why I developed ‘Simple Success Strategies’.
These make it much easier to succeed because they cut through complexity and focus on simplicity, clarity and decisive action.
They also demystify the whole process of marketing, sales and business development. And because they are based on more than 30 years of achievement, we know they work.
So hard work does pay off. But only if you’re working hard on the right things. Take a look at your own business and ask yourself how many of the principles of success you master today. If you don’t have them all covered, you could be wasting a lot of energy. And that means your big idea doesn’t make the impact you’d hoped for.